
What is it about those colorful, tiny, swift helicopter flying like birds, that people so eagerly look forward to their arrival each spring? Is it that they bring with them the promise of Spring itself and that winter is once more behind us? Or is it like the return home of a loved one whom we haven't seen for awhile and are anxious for thier return? Whatever the attachment, each spring, I receive e-mails and notes from friends and relatives in all parts of the country announcing 'their Hummers' are back. It's kind of like a race to see who gets their's first.
This year, ours arrived pretty much on schedule, although I have to admit we don't keep exact records of when they arrive and depart, like a lot of y
ou do. However, they did get here before the big May 8th storm that swept through Southern Illinois and caused so much destruction to our woods and trees. And I did notice that for several days following the storm, the little birds were uprooted from their homes just like the rest of us. You could tell by their disrupted flight patterns around the yard, darting about as though they were looking for familiar landmarks that were no longer there. But they were not alone in their desperation as several of the other nesting birds were having to relocate and rebuild their nests as well. As summer progressed and things settled down, we have again enjoyed our back yard guests who visit our feeder at a rapid pace. This summer I began using my clothes line again. It is the kind that is attached to the house and the lines roll in and out
. After I rolled out the lines the first time, I noticed it is a popular landing spot for the little hummers coming and going from the patio feeder. So, the clothes line has stayed out for the summer and will until the little birds leave for the winter. Just this morning I received some beautiful Hummingbird photos taken by my friend, Jim Martin, and want to share them with all you 'Hummer Lovers.' I'm sure you will agree they are totally awesome. Thank you, Jim, for sharing.
ou do. However, they did get here before the big May 8th storm that swept through Southern Illinois and caused so much destruction to our woods and trees. And I did notice that for several days following the storm, the little birds were uprooted from their homes just like the rest of us. You could tell by their disrupted flight patterns around the yard, darting about as though they were looking for familiar landmarks that were no longer there. But they were not alone in their desperation as several of the other nesting birds were having to relocate and rebuild their nests as well. As summer progressed and things settled down, we have again enjoyed our back yard guests who visit our feeder at a rapid pace. This summer I began using my clothes line again. It is the kind that is attached to the house and the lines roll in and out
. After I rolled out the lines the first time, I noticed it is a popular landing spot for the little hummers coming and going from the patio feeder. So, the clothes line has stayed out for the summer and will until the little birds leave for the winter. Just this morning I received some beautiful Hummingbird photos taken by my friend, Jim Martin, and want to share them with all you 'Hummer Lovers.' I'm sure you will agree they are totally awesome. Thank you, Jim, for sharing.
No comments:
Post a Comment