Monday, August 2, 2010

Mother's Day Remembrances

Betty Moore Hartman
Reminiscing back on past Mother's Days bring back memories of gatherings and events that will forever be etched in my book of  precious moments. During my child hood, Mother's Day would invoke visits with and dinner with my Grandmothers, Melissa Moore and Theresa Hartman.  These two women were both influencial role models of mine and taught me so many things that helped me develop skills that I continue to rely on everyday of my life.  Then there was my mother, Betty Moore Hartman, who I remember as a youngster clinging to her leg whenever we would go anywhere that I was unfamiliar with and shy about.  She was always my pillar of fortitude and strength.

Melissa Moore
When I became a mother in 1965, motherhood took on a whole different meaning as the bonding between myself and my daughter, Shelley, instilled in me a human love of such depth and strength that could never be broken. And my appreciation of all the love and sacrifices that my mother and grandmothers endured in raising and caring for their children took on a whole new and deeper meaning.

Theresa Hartman
Over the years, on at least two occasions, Mother's Day has fallen on major milestones in my life.  I attained both my bachelor and master degrees on this day.  When I received my bachelor's degree in 1985 from SIUC, it was on Mother's Day weekend and I was honored to give the Valedictorian address for my college from University Studies at the graduation ceremony held at the Arena.  In 1990, I again participated in SIUC's graduation ceremonies, this time to receive my Master's of Science degree from the College of Education's Educational Administration and Higher Education program. Following this milestone event, a family celebration took place in the new pole barn Fred and I had recently built on our new property at what was then Route 3, Carbondale.  In attendance on that special day were my mother, Betty Hartman, my aunt Fay Lawless, brothers Joe Hartman, Tom Hartman, and daughter Shelley and my husband, Fred.

In recent years we have often celebrated Mother's Day with friends, Dick and Ruth Pommier. In the past, we've got together and shared dinner on this special Sunday in May on the houseboat or at Bogie's Restaurant at Stone Creek Golf Club.  This year, we headed to Cobden to take in a bountiful buffet at the CInfinity restaurant.

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to go back to one of those wonderful Mother's Days of years long past.
Mother's Day 2010
Dick & Ruth Pommier, Shelley, Nancy & Fred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers